• CAD
  • USD
Cart (0)


News — Experiment

After 4 days of printing...

Posted by Fallon Foster on

I've been continuing to experiment with this M3D printer and I'm starting to have some success.  A lot of it comes down to calibrating the printer before each print, or at least everytime the filament is changed out.  There are still some other prints I'm having difficulty with, oddly persistent difficulty, but on the whole things are mostly working out. I made my first original .stl (or at least the first one I wasn't sending off somewhere else to be printed) and printed it this morning.  It took a few tries to get the scaling right.  I had to do...

Read more →


Heron Pouch

Posted by Fallon Foster on

During a recent visit, my Mother decided she'd like one of my pouches.  Having the benefit of being able to look at my materials she decided she wanted black oiled leather for the body of the pouch and green suede for the walls.  She wasn't entirely sure what kind of decoration she wanted though, so she left that to me.  I'm pretty glad she did because it gave me a great opportunity to try something out that I've been pondering for a while.  Some designs are precise or symmetrical enough that going through the process of carving the design into...

Read more →


Papermaking Round 14

Posted by Fallon Foster on

At least I think this is round 14...  In either case, I'd started using corn starch as a size and that's working pretty well.  I've also replaced the sponge with a rolling pin to squeeze the water from the pulp.  It's a bit messier and there's a certain knack I'm still working on, but it's vastly faster and produces a better, more burnished sheet in the end.  Round 15 was made with just printer paper pulp but I'm still waiting for the sheets to dry so I'm not sure how that's come out yet.

Read more →


Papermaking Round 12

Posted by Fallon Foster on

The weeks since we came back from Grand Forks have been too busy for me to find any time for making paper but fortunately that started to let up just a tad a couple days ago.  I've been starting to experiment with the chemistry of the paper which, at the moment, mostly means trying different size agents to see how they affect the result.  Size is the term for anything added to the pulp to make the paper more consistent, flexible, flat, etc.  In Batch 12 I used a water based contact cement and had what I would term as...

Read more →


Papermaking Round 10

Posted by Fallon Foster on

Round 10 was an attempt to make a massive amount of paper at one time.  I used 3x the normal amount of pulp and probably could have made roughly 25 pages with a gallon bucket full of pulp.  Unfortunately I've found a fault in my mesh that is causing a weak spot in each sheet.  I'm guessing the mesh has gotten clogged with ink and other such byproducts and this is preventing the water from draining through the mesh in that spot.  I'm going to try using some scraps of cloth to replace the mesh and see if that works...

Read more →