This client wanted a spellbook that looked like something their PC would have made. Re-organizing the interior of the book to sort the spells by their spell level and sprinkling in some sketchish art took up most of the time. Then I used a japanese binding style since that's, hypothetically, what would be most approachable to a layman adventurer. It makes for a sturdy binding but does mean the book can't lay flat when open. Then I used milled veg for the cover engraved with a little Draconic labeling. I'm really happy with the cover's feel and structure though I was hoping the stain would cure a tad lighter.
This project has definitely given me a lot of good thoughts for when I get around to overhauling the standard spellbook. ^_^