When the test showed that the pattern could be tooled I got everything ready to make the real thing. I cut and cased a big leather strap and even made a tap-off figuring the work would go faster with one. So naturally it turned out that the pattern was too complicated for a tap-off to work. I wound up using 5-6 printouts (all of which have gone into my to-be-pulped bin) to transfer the patterns by hand. I was hoping to get all the tooling done in one long day but we happened to be having a heat wave that day and the leather was decasing too quickly so I had to stow it by about 17:00. It took another whole day to get the tooling finished. I'd estimate it took a total of about 16-18 hours to finish all the tooling so it's probably a good thing I figured out a few ways keep the leather from decasing in half that time.
The final assembly with all the lining and trimming and staining and stitching and such took a day or two but didn't hold any surprises. I'm pretty pleased with how the antiquing gel stains the leather. Incidentally, so is the client who's immediately turned around and ordered a second one to be finished in four days. So here I go again. =)