These seem to be falling into a weekly cycle, entirely by accident. As it happens, tearing up the paper, mashing it, and forming it into sheets each take about a half hour to an hour. This block of time just about matchs what I have available while I'm waiting for something (usually glue or stain) to cure so that's generally when I get to work on this.
This last week I took the other half of that junkmail, shredded it and let it soak for a couple days before I did any masticating. It occurred to me that the classic tool to use for mastication would be a mortar and pestle. I picked one up easily enough and I played around with using it on the paper this round. I'm not sure if the results are very clear, but the paper is certainly a better quality. I'm still waiting for it to dry but so far it seems a good deal more consistent.
I think this week I'll switch back to using printer paper scraps. I'm also curious to see if saline might have an effect that water alone doesn't. Sounds like a pretty good experiment to me.
- Tags: Experiment